Monday, May 4, 2009

Trial and Error

Last year I planted a garden. It was the first one in my adult life. See, I tend to kill plants so planting has always been more of Hubby's domain. But, Youngest was so awed by growing things that we decided to clear out an area and plant. This turned out to be a huge success. The kids loved watering it, splashing through the hose an a daily basis. It gave me joy just to see an area of controlled non-jungle space in the yard. Hubby and I would walk over and inspect the progress. If things weren't picked in time, we fed them to the rabbit.

So, this year I decided to make the vegetable patch larger. Boy and I went shopping and were well prepared to start - or we would have been if I hadn't left the seeds at the check-out. When I was ready to plant, the next day, and we realized my blunder, I was too dirt covered to head back out. We put the plants in the ground and I promised Youngest we would get more seeds. Well, 4 year-olds being inventive she went and dug-out some sunflower seeds hanging out in the junk drawer. We planted them.

The next weekend the gardening bug had a firm hold. I decided to rip-out a useless area in the front and plant a wildflower garden. After 4 hours of excavating the patch of land was ready. I bopped through the house telling Hubby I had found a new hobby. He offered me the use of his landscaping and gardening books. Laughing, I replied that I was learning by trial and error and the most I wanted to read was printed on the seed packs themselves. This is when I held another loitering sunflower seed packet up, to show him where I was reading. He asked if they were still good. Still good? Of course they are they're seeds! Uhhh - wait there is a date here. No wonder the sunflowers in back aren't sprouting - they expired almost 2 years ago! Trial and error - I hope something grows.

In a completely unrelated subject I would like to thank weaselmomma for recognizing my attempts at blogging. Another trial and error hobby I have undertaken this year. I don't know about braving zombies, but I guess if they are just chicken zombies you could kick them in the head to get to my post.

“The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all.”

And I will pass it on to: bad momma , girl in the glasses , nuke dad , microbiologist , and change of life . Enjoy your zombie chicken!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sunflowers (hehehe, I should say GFL). The veggies will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my one attempt at garening I grew tomatoes the size of volleyballs. I had so many that I could never eat them all. I want to try again one day but my options now are to have a garden destroyed by either my dogs or by the wildlife living with us on the mountain. Maybe if we move I can try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~weaselmomma: If I can only get the children to eat the veggies it will be worth the effort!

    ~Otter: I have the same dog problem. They seem to think it is the best spot in the yard to sleep and the Springer loves to run through the sprinkler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ the seeds being 2 yrs. past their date: You will probably get some plants, the yield will be diminished though.

    We started our garden to get my boys to eat vegetables. Hasn't helped as much as I hoped but I am hooked. During the summer, everyday is like Christmas. I never know what great surprise I will find when I check my garden! This is my favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~badmomma: We planted new ones too - so we should be covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why Thank You! I LOVE me some zombie chicken! But only if the sauce isn't too blue. (Regards to ZZ Top)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i still can't get over the fact that not only do i have a vege garden, but i'm actually good at it! although, i think it's my magic dirt. i pretty much just have to keep the weeds out and the dirt does the rest. maybe when you come visit we can bag up some of my magic dirt for you. that way you won't have to try to grow veges in sand :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thank you, that is so sweet!

    I love gardening, right now all of my plants are indoor ones though since my wrist can't take it and I am way too busy with way too much. BadMomma is correct about the seeds, though you likely have already figured this out. One thing I picked up over the years is with fresh seeds I plant them to their final spacing. I hate thinning out perfectly good plants (tried transplanting and it didn't work too well) and it has been rare that one didn't germinate for me. Also it is best to give tomatoes plenty of room or you risk having a jungle that is difficult to get the fruit from. Happy gardening season =)

    ReplyDelete

I promise to read it if you write it!