Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our Amazing World

Today I thought I would take a moment to commit to paper - err web a note about how our world is amazing. I have a very good friend, we'll call her Gina. She was born with Cystic Fibrosis - a genetic disease that effects the body, primarily the lungs. When she was born people with CF didn't generally live past their teens. A few years ago that was upped to 20's and now it is low 30's. Being my friend, Gina is obviously not in her teens, and was getting very ill. In addition to breathing and oxygen problems, she was suffering from opportunistic infections. She was placed on the transplant list last spring.

I imagine being on a transplant list is a scary and guilt ridden prospect. Gina tried to keep upbeat and eventually became ill enough that she could no longer work. As I watched her health deteriorate, I couldn't help wondering what was taking the transplant so long - it is a strange thing to pray for a transplant, as you feel as if you are praying for someone to die - which you aren't you are praying for someone to live - a paradox maybe. Well, Gina received a double lung transplant on Thanksgiving - talk about being thankful! She was home in time for Christmas and reports that she is recovering well...and I just think, WOW! That as a race, humans can actually take parts from a person who can no longer use them and put them into a person who needs them is really mind boggling when you stop to think. I am thankful that this wonderful, kind person has a chance to live out a full life and that I have the chance to have her as a friend. It is truly an amazing world.

3 comments:

  1. do you not realise how hard it is for me to keep the people you talk about straight in my head?? now you're gonna go and f it all up by giving them fake names! sheesh, woman, you're killing me!!

    but seriously, that is cool and i'm glad to here she is doing good.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to read it if you write it!