Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Letter to the Court?

I was mentally giving myself a head-slap as my feet hit the floor this morning. Why oh why don't I keep a notebook to jot down ideas as they come? Feeling extremely deflated I went to Yahoo news and read this story. Ok, you don't want to click - I get it. 

The gist is that Cameron Douglas has all kinds of people asking for leniency in his sentencing.  He plead guilty to dealing crystal meth and cocaine, but he had a difficult life. It's tough to be a raised by millionaires and movie stars. 

I do believe he has issues. It is doubtful that anyone turns from a perfect life to addiction and felonies. Money and fame are not the foundation of good parenting and happiness. And while there ought to be better ways to handle addicts there simply doesn't seem to be any system in place in this country.

But, if money, privilege, and eloquently written letters are the basis of our legal system there is a problem.

2 comments:

  1. ell, my boys can't write eloquent letters. not sure if that is good or bad.

    money & fame are not what makes the parenting good or bad, wholly. 'wholly' doesn't look right, but has no red underline.

    speaking of court cases- we are going through a critical thinking book on the Bill of Rights. It is full of actual supreme court cases- my boys are loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone in your frustrations on either count 1 (head slap moment) or 2.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to read it if you write it!