Friday, July 17, 2009

Squash 'Em


I've recently, today, joined DadBlogs (though I have been loitering in the area for awhile). And in honor of that new membership, I am posting a Fatherhood Friday story.

While on our rainy camping trip, we found need to keep the children entertained. I had board games and cards conveniently stashed under the seat of the van, and nonna had brought along Aggravation. This game was new to my family, so we decided to play it.

There being only 6 players and 8 of us niece teamed-up with Boy, while I joined Youngest (largely honorary since I made no decisions or rolls). Now, for those of you who don't know the game, it is like Sorry - but with dice, marbles, and some other changes. In other words, you can squash other players and send them back to home.


With Youngest taking the lead, I expected little squashing to be done - kind hearted thing that she is. But, Hubby thought it would be best to strongly encourage the squashing theme. "It's part of the game," he reassured her. And she took to it, like a duck to water. Terrorizing her portion of the board with zeal. Who could've known that underneath the adorable 5 year-old exterior lay a giggling squash maniac?


The game continued with little input from me, as Youngest had her own mission in mind - squashing the opposition. Until she was in position to squash her father. At this point he looked at her and said in his sweetest Daddy voice, "Are you going to squash me?" At which point a look of pure horror crossed her sweet face. She ran over to him, gave him a two-armed hug and said, "Don't worry Daddy, I won't get you."

Other players cried foul. "Manipulation!" they shouted. (Teen and Boy were among the loudest) The kids strongly encouraged Youngest to squash her father at every opportunity, but she was having none of it. And dad? Well, he was reveling in his glory at having the ear and heart of another player. Together they would conquer the game.

Until there was a move she couldn't avoid. She would have to send her dad back to home or forfeit her turn. She moved, reluctantly. After sending him back to home, she looked at him with big eyes & quivering lip. Hubby, opened his arms, she ran to them eager for redemption. He gave her a hug, told her it is part of the game, and that she was doing a great job. She said "Sorry I squashed you Daddy." He laughed, kissed her head and told her that he would always love her no matter how many times she squashed him.


The moment passed and they went about the business of conquering the board. Youngest ended-up winning the game. Squashing and competition are great, but never underestimate the power of cute in winning the game.

12 comments:

  1. "never underestimate the power of cute in winning the game"

    No one could have said it better !!

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute story...You're little one knows how to win gracefully :D I like the hug with the father after she squashed him.
    Welcome to Dad-Blogs and I look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too cute. I'm sure she got a big kick out of squashing the older kids, even if she felt bad about squashing her daddy.

    The first time I took my daughters to play laser tag, my younger daughter was five. I thought she might be scared by all the noise and darkness, and intimidated by the use of laser guns. Nope, she basically owned us all, like a berserk little GI Joe. I was astonished, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too funny...that is totally how my friend's daughter is with him when she plays a game with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun! We love to play games. Monopoly is the game that brings out the "squashing the opposition" in my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ BellaDaddy: Thank you!

    ~ Andrew'sDaddies: I'm not sure she was graceful - but she sure was excited!

    ~Tom: LOL! She sounds a lot like my daughter - out for the kill!

    ~ PJ Mullen: I'm not sure how long it will last - Teen had no qualms about squashing her dad.

    ~BadMomma: I have had a running game of Monopoly with my son - it has been at least 3 weeks! He is so happy when I am near broke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason this reminded me of the scene in the move Big Daddy, where when asked what game they were playing, the kid said 'I win.'

    Welcome to dad blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I never underestimate cuteness or youth. I love the fact she ran up and gave her Daddy a hug when she had to squash him. Playing board games with the family can be a riot. I haven't done so in awhile. Maybe I should get the games back out!
    Welcome to Dad Blogs, you are going to love it here. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I giggled through this whole post. That was fantastic and youngest so sweet.
    Welcome to Dad-Blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom! You forgot about Guin smashing Dad and Dad setting out for revenge, smashing her everytime he got the chance. That was a big part of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i still think dad was cheating! no fair manipulating lil kids into being your minions! lol it was quite fun to play anyways and i'm glad everybody got into it and enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I promise to read it if you write it!